Saturday 1st January 2000 (I was going to put 1999 then!)
HAPPY NEW YEAR + CENTURY + MILLENNIUM!!!
Well, my memories of New Year’s Eve 2000 are not particularly good ones. To say my night was a let down would be an understatement. The word ‘shite’ pretty much describes it. There were some good parts but these were outweighed greatly by the bad ones.
My mates (Cat, Sarah and Lizzie) all came round to my house to get changed and stuff and then we were dropped off by my dad at Poppy’s house. We collected Poppy then went round to get Karen. We wandered about the village for a while looking for a party, got bored and went back to Poppy’s.
At 10:30 pm we went round to Zoe’s for the party. My sister and Jacqueline turned up and we ended up staying over until about 9:00 am this morning. We then walked back to mine so they could be picked up to go home. I slept until 5:30 pm this evening. That is basically how the night went.
- I was with all my mates all night.
- The gorgeous Danny Barnes was at Zoe’s and he put his arm round me for a photo.
- Kate and Laura phoned me from Wick’s street party to say Happy New Year. They said that they were enjoying themselves and to tell Abby they’d seen Ashley Ewart. They said they’d tell Duncan to phone me or send me a text message too.
- Hayley wasn’t there because she was working.
- When my dad dropped us off at Poppy’s, 2 lads were whistling and shouting stuff at us and he had ‘a word’ with them and they were yelling back at him. I was then worried that he’d be worried.
- Before the time we could go to Zoe’s there was nothing to do, it was cold, rainy and the village was dead.
- Laddered my tights badly.
- Got drinks spilt all over me.
- Told Lizzie, Sarah and Cat what went on with me and Nathan which’ll probably get round everyone now, knowing Lizzie.
- Slapper Jacqueline snogged Danny.
- Hardly anyone at Zoe’s.
- Phoned Brett but he didn’t answer his mobile so I left a quick message on the answer service. Phoned his home phone and spoke to his dad who sounded really pleased I’d phoned but told me Brett wasn’t in. I left my mobile number for him but he never rang back.
- At about 2:00am, Abby turned up and snapped at me all night because she wanted to go home.
- At about 4:30am, I listened to the messages on my answer service and there were 4 from Dad, all saying things like, “Where the hell are you? When are you coming home? I don’t like your attitude and we’ll have to bloody sort it out!” I phoned him and he said more or less the same thing plus, “Happy bloody New Year!” I then got upset which was a bit embarrassing. He also left messages on Sarah and Lizzie’s phones. Abby rang home too and he was nicer to her which didn’t exactly make me feel better.
- Got a bit of sleep and apparently snored and got laughed at.
- Not in Wick.
- Kept seeing celebrations on TV and saw how much of a good time other people have had.
- Had to walk home this morning. It was freezing and my feet went totally numb.
My mum didn’t realise what Dad had said to me and was sympathetic towards me. Dad did apologise before and said it was worry and alcohol which made him do it. I’m still annoyed because it spoiled my night.
I spoke to Sarah before and she said she’s spoken to Hayley and she said Hayley’d had quite a good night and that she’s seeing some lad she met at bowling. Good. My mum reckons that if Hayley gets a boyfriend it’ll take her mind off stuff that I do so maybe she’ll leave me alone. I hope she’s right, although Hayley will love the fact that she’s got a boyfriend and I haven’t. I have to say that I couldn’t give a toss right now.
There are lots of programmes on TV about last night and they keep including bagpipes. It makes me realise how much I really want to be in Wick right now. I miss it so much.
Oh the perils of being let down and shouted by your dad on the ‘biggest night of the year’!!
On my millennium night (age 14) I got shouted at by my mum. Why? Because when Dad let off a firework at the bottom of the garden at midnight that whizzed all round the garden and headed straight for me, I leapt out of the way TO AVOID BEING FIREWORKED TO DEATH and in the process broke a wine glass. That’s why Mum shouted at me. FOR TRYING TO SAVE MY OWN LIFE.
Seems we had a reasonably similar Millennium 🙂
PS I LOVE your blog. x
Oh, I’m glad it wasn’t just me that had their Millennium night utterly selfishly ruined by a parent!
P.S. I also LOVE your blog! x